On August 10, 2011, at 3:42 pm, I got the news I’d waited
almost a lifetime to hear: "Congratulations!"
I have always wanted children. When I was in elementary
school, I dreamed of having seven children. I used to play house and pretended
my little sister was my baby. As I got older, the number of children I wanted
to have shrunk (I realized fitting seven children plus two parents into a
vehicle would be logistically challenging – this may or may not have occurred
to me after a cross-country road trip in a VW Rabbit with my parents, my two sisters and a chair), but the dream of
children never went away. I would grow
up, go to college, meet my husband, and have my first child before 27…before
the start of the new millennium.
I did grow up. I did
go to college. But I didn’t meet my
husband. And I celebrated the new
millennium single and childless.
Starting a career, moving to a new city, starting a new
career…there were dates along the way, and one longer-than-it-should-have-been
relationship, but no husband…no children.
And I was now 35, halfway to 40.
All around me, friends and relatives were having
children. In 2009 I knew of more than 12
babies who were born. Every month there was another child(or two) born to a
friend or co-worker, every month. Every baby shower was painful, every birth
announcement, no matter how happy I was for my friend, was another reminder
that I was childless.
I looked into adoption, but the cost, for a single teacher
making $30,000 a year with student loans to pay off, seemed insurmountable. I looked at adopting out of the
foster care system, but many of the children had special needs and needed
two-parent households. I asked my doctor about artificial insemination. But I
wondered about being a single parent and so I tried the dating scene again. Mr.
Right still didn’t seem to be coming around.
It seemed as if my dream was going to pass me by. I started
to wonder, when should I make peace with not having children? How would I go
about that difficult task? I tried to tell myself I could have a full life
without a child. I tried to focus on all
the wonderful things I have in my life.
But it still didn’t seem enough.
One day this spring, as I was rinsing the shampoo from my
hair, I thought, I could have a child, just me, on my own. I could become pregnant,
I could do it. And suddenly, the world seemed rich again with possibilities, my
dream was revitalized, and every day since I’ve felt stronger, happier, and
more certain I am making the right choice.
I’ve chosen to be a single mother. I know it will be hard. I know that not
everyone will support my decision (although I haven't met anyone personally yet). But I
know that I will be bringing a child into the world who will have something to
give to the universe. And I am committed to being the best mother I can be.
At the end of May, at age 37 and a half, I had my first appointment at the Idaho Center for Reproductive Medicine. I
found a sperm bank, The Sperm Bank of California, and with my sister
Elisabeth’s help, I chose a donor.
4350 has red hair and loves theatre. His message to any
people getting his sperm convinced me this person was the right one to donate
half of my child’s genes: “If this
process is a success for you then I would like to say congratulations! I have
faith that your child will be raised with love and care and with a little luck
it should find success in many of its ventures. I believe your child will be
capable of nearly anything.”
On Wednesday morning, 7/27/11, I went to the ICRM for the first
attempt at donor insemination. I spent the
next two weeks keeping busy so I wouldn’t think about whether or not I was
already pregnant (of course I wouldn’t be on the first try, the odds were less
than 20%).
And then, on August 10, I got the call. Pregnant! Yes, on the first try! I couldn’t believe it. I spent the rest of the day grinning ear to
ear. I celebrated with a small dinner
party, where many glasses wine were drunk, although none by me.
Some of my friends have been on this journey with me for
years, some of them knew of the preparations (the meds, the shots, the Semen
Order Form), others found out when I got the news. And now, nine and a half weeks pregnant, I am
starting to share the news with the rest of my world. I've spent a lot of time trying to tell myself I
was okay without a baby, shoving the dream away because it was starting to seem
impossible, but it’s really happening.
It’s happening and I am so unbelievably happy. And it's time to celebrate the miracle.
That's great news Catherine. Wish I lived closer so I could babysit! ;)
ReplyDeleteA sweet love story in the making :)
ReplyDelete