I teach elementary school. My students hug me at the end of the day. At the start of vacations, they tell me they will miss me. My students depend on spending their day with me. The 99% protection for district funding gives my students invaluable stability.
I teach in Caldwell, Idaho. I make $32,470 a year. I’ve been teaching six years and I’ve completed 36 credits towards a master’s degree. My salary is less than I made working at a marketing agency in San Francisco in 1999. My contract hours are 8 to 4:15. I work at least another hour each school night with several more hours every weekend. I already work hard; merit pay can’t make me work any harder.
In my short career, I’ve already had three different building administrators, each with different personalities and philosophies. Continuing contract status allows me the security of getting to know my new supervisor without worrying he or she will fire me immediately and hire someone of their choice.
I am a professional. I hold myself accountable for the learning of my students. I have well designed plans, with knowledge of the standards and curriculum. I belong to Kappa Delta Pi, an international honor society education, so I keep current with the best teaching techniques. I am a member of the Caldwell Education Association so I have a vote in the contract that governs my responsibilities and working environment.
I teach with technology. Until last year, the technology in my classroom was the same as my 8th grade Algebra class in 1987: an overhead projector and vis-à-vis markers. Through personal effort, I obtained a document camera and a Mobi for my classroom. Where is the money for technology for elementary classrooms and students?
Here are some suggestions.
- Give school districts money for technology that could be used in any building.
- Scale back the laptop plan so 770 teachers keep their jobs and students don’t have larger classes.
- Train administrators in the documentation requirements to eliminate bad teachers based on solid evaluations created from Charlotte Danielson’s Enhancing Professional Practice: A Framework for Teaching
- Create a state insurance pool for teachers to cut insurance costs
- Appreciate and respect that most teachers are good teachers who try their best.
- Bring together parents, teachers and community leaders to form a comprehensive plan for education in Idaho.
I am proud to be a teacher. I am proud to be a citizen of Idaho. Thank you for allowing me this opportunity to share my viewpoint with you.
Frameworks is by Charlotte Danielson. I love what you have written!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteWell said!
ReplyDeleteAmen to that!!!
ReplyDelete